…Strategies to Help You Get on the Right Track
Yes, searching for a job is stressful. But searching for a job while being unemployed is more stressful – and sometimes more of a struggle. With the added issues that Covid-19 has presented, it’s a lot. It’s. A. Lot. We hear it, we understand it, and here’s where the saying “We’re all in this together” can really be impactful. Let’s discuss.
If you are currently job searching while unemployed, here are four strategies to help you re-frame your perspective on this temporary status. Our experience and education in staffing has made us experts in the field. As much as your technical proficiencies and talents in your own field of expertise make you an excellent candidate for a new position, you’re currently facing an unforeseen status of unemployment, and it chafes. At Masiello Employment, our expertise goes to work for you. We learn about your skills and talents, we see your abilities, and perhaps most importantly at this time, we know that your current situation is temporary. Check out these strategies, there’s sure to be something here that resonates.
- Stay positive. Remember that you are not your employment status. People often look at being unemployed as a mark against them and who they are as a person. You are not defined by whether you have a job or not. You are not inadequate. You are not a failure. Jobs just don’t always work out – and for a variety of reasons. In this time of Covid-19, this is very important to remember! Try to think of this forced down time as an opportunity. An opportunity to find a job that you love. An opportunity to add value to a new organization. An opportunity to build character and resilience. (Confidence and positivity attract employers!)
- Network. Put yourself “out there.” Join online groups. Attend virtual networking events (if the kids can go to school virtually, you can network virtually). Connect with industry professionals on LinkedIn. You don’t have a LinkedIn account? Now’s the time to create one and make connections. Reach out to people you know and ask for introductions. Surround yourself with individuals who can add value to your job search. Be sure you know what you want and don’t be shy about discussing that with others. Building a solid network opens a lot of doors.
Need ideas about where you might network with others? Here are some:
- Join a LinkedIn Group
- Network with current or former colleagues
- Young Professionals Groups
- Chamber of Commerce groups – they’re hosted virtually! Check out Morning Mixers, or special events with your local Chamber of Commerce
- Take care of yourself. While it may be tempting to just veg out on your couch in your pajamas, watching TV, don’t do it! Be mindful of your habits. Be sure to get out of the house (while practicing safe social distancing). Get some exercise. Try to avoid emotional overeating. Follow a schedule and set daily goals for yourself. Remaining active, following a routine and having day-to-day goals will go a long way in helping you stay focused and in a good state of mind throughout the job search process. You can come out of this period of unemployment and Covid-19 even stronger!
- Partner with a staffing firm. Masiello Employment is well-connected and an invaluable resource to job seekers. We offer a variety of hiring options – temporary, temp-to-hire and direct hire opportunities. Being open and flexible to a variety of opportunities allows you to develop your skill set, sample different industries and bridge the unemployment gap. It can help restore your confidence and revitalize you! At Masiello Employment, we offer phone & video interviews/meetings during this time of social distancing.
Contact the experienced recruiting team at Masiello Employment today. We have several resources available to job seekers, including skills and job assessments and career development consultations. We encourage you to reach out to us and tell us about your goals and needs. Our team is dedicated to working with our clients and coming through this period of pandemic with a strong and positive outlook. Join us.