Job hunting is competitive. If you’re looking to stand apart from other job seekers, you are going to need to put a little more work into your job search than simply submitting resumes.
Consider adding a cover letter – even to ads that don’t require one.
A cover letter is a great job search tool. But before you go and copy a generic cover letter template, consider really adding a personal touch to your cover letter.
Here’s how to make your cover letter stand out:
- Address the cover letter to the appropriate point of contact. Avoid “To Whom It May Concern” at all costs. In an age where information is so readily accessible, not taking the time to do a little research can really hurt your odds of getting the job. Show your interest in the opportunity by proving that you were willing to do some work.
- Use your voice. Being professional is always important, but it is OK to let a little of your personality shine through in your cover letter. Don’t be afraid to make yourself seem like a human being.
- Cater the cover letter to your audience. Aside from using the contact’s name, show that you did your homework about the organization. In your letter, reference the company, its mission, its values – and then tie it in to your skills and experience.
- SHOW what you have to offer. Rather than repeat information they will find in your resume, take the opportunity to give examples of your strengths, skills, accomplishments… Use the cover letter as your chance to give a glimpse of what you bring to the table.
- Keep it short and sweet. You’re not writing your autobiography. Your goal is to simply entice a prospective employer with your skills into wanting to meet you and learn more about you. Tell them what attracted you to the job and why you think you’re a good fit.
Hiring managers sift through hundreds of cover letters on a daily basis. Following the aforementioned tips can go a long way in helping you stand out.
Writing a cover letters require work and are not necessarily the most fun to write, but taking the time to craft a strong cover letter can really go a long way in helping you land the job of your dreams!
Many recruitment agencies offer resume help to their employees. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them for help!
Not working with a staffing agency on your job search? It’s time to consider doing so! Staffing firms are well-connected and match millions of people to jobs every day!
Contact the experienced recruiting team at Masiello for help with your job search. We have several resources available to job seekers and are committed to providing the best opportunities possible. For more information, don’t hesitate to contact our experienced recruiting team. Let us help!