Nowadays, your online presence is used as a screening tool by recruiters and other prospective employers to determine whether or not you might be a good fit for their organization. In other words, they see you before they even see you.
While it’s certainly possible that hiring managers will use other social media platforms to recruit, the first stop for most employers looking for talent is LinkedIn.
But with so many people on LinkedIn, how do you stand out?
Here are some tips to help you maximize your LinkedIn presence:
- Have a professional photo. LinkedIn is not the place for silly photos. If you are serious about finding professional opportunities, rethink using photos of you drinking, scantily dressed, etc. After all, a picture paints a thousand words. What does your photo say about you?
- Link up. Connect with individuals relevant to your desired industry. Ask for endorsements and recommendations from co-workers or former supervisors.
- Know your brand. Always be ready to offer (in a few sentences) who you are, what you stand for and what you are looking for.
- Get involved. Join local networking organizations. Join a club. Or try getting involved in community activities.
- Focus on your brand. Every post you add online impacts your brand. Avoid posting about taboo topics, like religion and politics. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, true, but it could also turn a potential employer off.
- Tell your story. Use your personal summary as an opportunity to let employers get to know you. Share your passions and interests. It will paint a clearer picture of who you are and allow hiring managers to determine if you are a good cultural fit for their organization.
- Use keywords. B e sure your profile incorporates relevant industry terminology.
- Proofread your profile. Avoid poor grammar and simple spelling mistakes. This is especially embarrassing if you claim to have strong written and communication skills.
If you are seeking employment, it could greatly benefit you to connect with a recruiter or staffing firm in your area to see how they can help – via LinkedIn or a phone call.
Don’t hesitate to contact the experienced recruiting team at Masiello. Tell us about your goals and needs. At Masiello, we listen, learn and are committed to providing the best opportunities possible. Let us help.