There’s no doubt about it – job hunting can be stressful.
If you are currently seeking employment, we’d like to offer you a few tips in the “Don’t Do This” category that will hopefully make your job search a little easier and more successful.
Here are a few DON’Ts for job seekers:
- Don’t take rejection personally. Chances are you aren’t going to get the first job you apply for. Before beginning your job search, understand and accept that you will almost certainly face rejection. Use each rejection as an opportunity to learn and improve by asking for feedback. The more you know, the better prepared you will be for the next job you apply to.
- Don’t say “I’ll do anything.” Not only does this expression sound a little desperate to a prospective employer, the fact remains that you are likely unable to do “everything.”(Which is essentially what “anything” translates to.) Be aware of what your strengths are, what your skills are, and focus on what’s relevant to the job you are interested in.
- Don’t ask about money before you even get a job offer. Your ultimate goal with an interview is, yes, to get the job. But the best way to get the job is to show your interviewer that you are not only the best suited for the job, but INTERESTED in the job and the opportunity to work for their organization. To ask about money before an offer is even presented to you signifies that you are more concerned with a paycheck than you are with the opportunity. It can be a major turnoff to a prospective employer.
- Don’t be negative. Use this as an opportunity to shine, to show an organization all you have to offer. You may be unemployed now, but that will change. Be positive and look towards the future.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. There are many resources available to job seekers – groups, networking events, employment agencies. Don’t try to do it all alone.
Lastly, and we like to think it really belongs at the top of the list, don’t hesitate to contact the experienced recruiting team at Masiello. We listen, we learn, and we are committed to providing the best opportunities possible and have several resources available to job seekers. Let us help!