As much as we like our jobs, from time to time we all encounter some workplace stress. And when you feel stressed at work, it only compounds itself. Before you know it, you’re a tense, grumpy wreck.
Don’t become the office grump.
These six tips are low-cost, easy ways to relax at work. Try a few or try them all, but give them a shot, so that you can handle the inevitable stress that comes with work:
- Workplace yoga. No, you won’t have to bend like a pretzel! But simple yoga moves have been proven to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and help you feel revitalized.
- Take a break. Get up, walk around, even go outside and go for a quick walk. Sometimes the best way to relax is to get away from what’s causing the stress in the first place! If only for a few minutes, get away from your desk and indulge in some stress-free activity.
- Schedule your day. No schedule is impenetrable, but if you block out your day, leaving room for unexpected occurrences, you’ll be better equipped to handle the stress that can creep up during a typical workday. Identify your top tasks for the day, and schedule them (even adding them to your Outlook calendar, if appropriate). You’ll be more likely to stick to them, and you’ll have a great sense of accomplishment at the end of the day!
- Breathe deeply. This is another one of those techniques that, like yoga, you might be afraid to try. But for the sake of argument, let’s give it a try now. Close your eyes (well, read this first), sit up straight, and inhale deeply to a count of six. Then exhale slowly to a count of seven. Repeat 10 times. Now, tell me that you don’t feel relaxed! Deep breathing is proven stress-reducing technique. It will help you relax and focus, and approaching your day will seem far less insurmountable.
- Get more sleep. Staying up until 1am to watch that “Golden Girls” marathon may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but now you’re dragging, and ever little thing is setting you off. Moral of the story? Get some sleep. Regularly. You’ll feel better, and your day will be much more easy to handle.
- Listen to music. Think that your iPod is only good for the gym? Think again. Put together your favorite playlist and, if duties permit, get your work done to your favorite tunes. Just don’t blame us when your co-workers revolt against your cubicle karaoke (we said “Listen to music,” not “Serenade your coworkers”).
Ready for a change of pace?
Come to Masiello Employment Services. We work with top employers across Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and we’ll find you a new job to help you reach your goals.
Now open in Northampton, MA! Find more info about this office location here.